Official Wednesday Night NXT Thread
[Image: 200.gif]

Tonight begins the first "shot" if you will in the WNW.

[Image: a17681969bebb1b5fa94d56eab0f9667.gif]

NXT will be airing tonight, several weeks ahead of AEW. AEW will premier on October 2nd.

[Image: DJzLISo.gif]

===
NXT
===

It will be interesting to see how their weekly show evolves. It isn't just a matter of switching to two hours...they have to deal with commercial breaks, trying to keep the same smark crowd entertained each week, working with "developmental talent", doing less squash matches, etc. It will also be interesting to find out how their ratings do before AEW then week-to-week.

[Image: 266.gif]

I imagine AEW (in its infancy) will just be looking to do their own thing a create TK's vision. NXT/WWE has a history of being far more reactionary so they might change things earlier on based on how AEW is performing. Having more "freedom" might also allow for AEW to take petty shots at NXT/WWE that wouldn't fly under the watch of HHH or Vince.

[Image: UK6O.gif]
[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 11589c9e6e10717d74a86ba5d701e747.gif]
[Image: 1939ad55f69278b48ed8a296d83769c6.gif]
[Image: SecondhandWillingAsianelephant.gif]
[Image: ee2a0446347bd8fc0ce972d9d6e056de.gif]
[Image: hh12.gif]
[Image: 403.gif]
[Image: 9199c31d641b5bf67187ba70fc31518f8fbb521a_hq.gif]
[Image: WmfNhHX.png]
I bet Fattie will find some way to link this to the metaphorical jews.
[Image: 3GJrzHf.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like Hitchcock's post
Why would they do less squash matches? Just because they are on USA doesn't mean they have to do the standard WWE formula. The formula being different is what sets it apart from raw and SmackDown
[Image: MNE-Outlined-in-Chalk.jpg]
Tony Khan's about as un-Jewish as you can get...

(09-18-2019, 06:46 PM)Reggie Wrote: Why would they do less squash matches? Just because they are on USA doesn't mean they have to do the standard WWE formula. The formula being different is what sets it apart from raw and SmackDown

As a fan, I'm okay with squash matches sometimes. But when AEW is live on the other channel, I can't see them putting Jaxson Ryker or Kona Reeves out there against some no-name jobber. That's just begging people to flip over and see what Kenny Omega's up to.

That and because your attention span will decrease as time goes on. One or two in an hour? Fine. Four in two hours? Nooooope.

Not sure why that’s hard to grasp.
*Show opens with a shot of HHH*

I’m not shocked.
(09-18-2019, 06:51 PM)Peezy Wrote:
(09-18-2019, 06:46 PM)Reggie Wrote: Why would they do less squash matches? Just because they are on USA doesn't mean they have to do the standard WWE formula. The formula being different is what sets it apart from raw and SmackDown

As a fan, I'm okay with squash matches sometimes. But when AEW is live on the other channel, I can't see them putting Jaxson Ryker or Kona Reeves out there against some no-name jobber. That's just begging people to flip over and see what Kenny Omega's up to.
nxt doesn't have to worry about beating aew. Just being on puts a stick in their spokes
(09-18-2019, 06:57 PM)Chris Wrote: That and because your attention span will decrease as time goes on. One or two in an hour? Fine. Four in two hours? Nooooope.

Not sure why that’s hard to grasp.
the show was never all squash matches though.
*All 4 women are down*

Mauro: “As NXT...Rolls on.”
Ohhhh sorry, I misunderstood. That was a good match to start though
I fucking hate mauro
[+] 1 user Likes Reggie's post
I like Mauro more than any other current announcer in the company...but not every match needs to be called Wrestlemania -style.

I enjoyed the quick intros and video packages for Adam Cole and Velveteen Dream.
Wait, so the show is going past 2 hours on the WWE Network?

Cameron Grimes: Party City Cowboy on a Dollar General budget.
(09-18-2019, 07:25 PM)Chris Wrote: Wait, so the show is going past 2 hours on the WWE Network?

Cameron Grimes: Party City Cowboy on a Dollar General budget.
1 hour on USA and 1 on the network
Ah, ok. I thought it would be 2 hours on USA each week. My schedule has been all over the place as of late so I have not been paying close attention to everything that has been going on as of late.

Dream and Strong didn't do anything for me. VD had some of the worst looking punches I have seen (made Shane look like Mike Tyson). UA having all the gold is pretty cool.
"THESE GIRLS ARE LIGHTING UP THE RING LIKE LIZZO IS LIGHTING UP THE MUSIC SCENE!" And "HIP HIP LARAE!" were 2 quotes in the first fucking match that reminded why I hate mauro
It's only split in the middle between USA and The Networknfor these first 2 weeks while Suits is having their series finale. Thennit will go full 2 hours on USA
[Image: nls85v.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Tim's post
Thanks for the clarification, Tim.

I enjoyed the clash of styles in the Dunne match.

Do we need to announce matches with women in it as "Women division matches"?
What really blows is I dunno how my DVR is gonna handle NXT, AEW, South Park and AHS all on Weds.

Decisions, decisions...
[Image: Fa12_AT_Ohio_State_Glove_15669-675x380.jpg]
Watch AEW, DVR NXT. The others will be replayed or easily available elsewhere.

Also, I was thinking Lio had been released. Guess they put him on the backburner.

Yay KUSHIDA
Yay Ring Kampf!
Man that Walter/Impyrium and Kushida stuff was completely unexpected, as well as Riddle/Walter stuff. Good god, that's something I didn't even realize I wanted but Riddle vs Walter = YES PLZ

I was so sure the first hour on USA would have someone re-debut or move over to NXT for the first time. Maybe a Finn Balor return, or someone like Sheamus returning and joining NXT.

Good first episode(s).
Second hour was far superior to the first. The ending needed some work.
Now I want some popcorn.
Chris
[+] 1 user Likes whitedak99's post
Yea the 2nd hour got crazy as hell. Probably the intention though - First hour is definitely good, but the 2nd hour is crazy because you have to switch channels for it and not everyone did that I'm sure. But those who did are rewarded, and then they can play the replay next week and be like "Hey look what you missed, maybe this time you should stick around for hour 2"

Anyway

I loved the intro at the very beginning with Triple H's head in front of black background, followed by the reveal that it was just the black stage curtain and he went out there live. I thought that was a fantastic way to start this new era of NXT off. I know you could say that's Triple H stroking his ego a bit and I don't think that'd be wrong to say, but at the same time I think he's earned it. Plus it was very brief. I'd have been bothered if he went out and cut a 10 minute long promo, but this was just 2 minutes and then we're off and running. Plus, Triple H has done the wrestling world right by his booking/handling of NXT and I have 0 problems showing him appreciation for it. It felt very appropriate.

So we start off with the 4-way women's match for the #1 contendership with Mia Yim, Bianca Bel'Air, Io Shirai, and Candace LaRae. This was fun, and I think it was a pretty dang good match. Much better than most women's matches on Raw/Smackdown. 4 Ways usually are fun though. Anyway, I had expected Mia Yim to win but Candace was the other most logical choice. Surprised she beat Yim to do it but that makes sense too, given that Shirai just turned heel and needs protecting to solidify her in that role and while Candace should eventually beat Io for revenge, we don't need to blow that in a 4-way.

KEITH LEE VS DOMINIK DIJAKOVIC NEXT WEEK? HELL YES.

Sean Maluta came out and I recognized him, so that's nice. I'd be happy if he has a permanent spot in NXT, I think the guy is gonna keep growing and getting better. Surprised he was facing Cameron Grimes, and I think it's important to note who gets featured on these first couple of episodes. Probably is a good indicator of who is being focused on as we move forward. Interesting to see that Grimes, not Jordan, is the one featured on episode 1. That leaping stomp was probably the first really good one I've seen him do that looked emphatic enough to win. Not sure how I feel about his gimmick. On one hand I like his appearance, it's very wild west/cowboy to me without going super far in being campy (Thank goodness he's not wearing chaps or cowboy boots), buuuut I still don't know his actual character well enough to like or dislike him yet.

Damien Priest gets a video package too, not surprised.

I loved this video package for Dream/Strong. They showed it last week too, and I think it's one of the best ones they've ever done. The transitions, the ambiance, the way Dream appears to control the video at times. It's all really really well done, and I think that really helps new fans to NXT get a sense of who both these guys are but also makes them seem important - after all, you don't get awesome video packages if you're a nobody. The match itself was quite good, the ending was great. I half expected the Undisputed Era to jump Roderick Strong and kick him out, but instead they helped him secure the victory which was also good. Velveteen Dream looked like a star and they did a good job protecting him with the way this loss happened. Undisputed Era gonna be runnin wild on NXT, whatchu gonna do, brother?

Pete and Arturo was a weird match, mostly because of Arturo. I feel bad for him, I get the feeling wrestling is not coming as easy for him as other people. The reason I think that is because of the stats Mauro was mentioning about him, they said he went something like 11 years undefeated in something else and his champions experience in other sports...normally those types of accolades result in early pushes for rookies like that, but not for Arturo. Maybe it's his look, maybe he just isn't progressing as fast as others before him have, I dunno. He's got flashes of good stuff, though. Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of Pete submitting people with the finger snap stuff. I totally believe it, BUT I just think the Bitter End is a better way to go. But I Heart Pete Dunn. Glad he's here.

Xia Li vs Aaliyah - Man, surprised to see this match, but Xia has some serious moves. It's unfortunate she botched her top rope spinning kick cause that thing is absolutely amazing when she nails it. She hit it perfectly a few weeks ago, but not on this night. Oh well, she still won and that should tell you that they want to do more with her. As they should, she's got crazy skills physically. Hopefully they can do more to get her over as a personality than just "She's a Chinese woman!"

IMPERIUM. WOW. DID NOT EXPECT THAT. I love how the crowd was chanting for Walter, even "Where's Walter?" and then he came out. I thought for a second they were gonna tease us, give us the 3 other members but save Walter for something else, but nope, he came out. And adding Kushida to it was so unexpected but lovely, really gave me something more to latch on to Kushida to. It was pretty badass of him to march down to the ring, tell them it was his time now, and fight them off. That jacket slipping off spot was fkn brilliant and I feel like that happened in Back To The Future but I can't remember for sure. It felt like Kushida was Ant Man taking shots against Thanos (Walter) and escaping, but it was cool.

Oney Lorcan vs Lio Rush, #1 Contendership CW title - Heck yea Lio Rush is back, good for him. He's too good to be stuck as a jobber mouthpiece of anyone. Him and Oney had a hellacious match, I loved the physicality, and I honestly expected Oney to win. It made more sense to me than Lio, I thought Lio was gonna have a road to redemption but I guess he's already there. And that's totally ok too, Lio and Gulak should be good. I said this waaaaay back in 2016 when 205 Live was still new, that they'd do much much better if they presented the show from the same venue every week like NXT does. Now, here they are. Folding that division into NXT is absolutely the best thing for all those guys, cause they'll get the respect and adoration they deserve from NXT crowds.

Matt Riddle vs Killian Dain - Solid brawl for when it was just these 2 guys, but honestly I don't even remember much of their fight, I mostly just remember Walter grabbing Matt Riddle and I instantly began thinking of Walter vs Riddle and how much I would love to see that. Then seemingly EVERYONE gets involved in a big backstage fight the likes of which I can't remember seeing since the Invasion in 2001, the night Stone Cold returned as THE OLD STONE COLD. I was seriously expecting a big return or debut in the middle of the brawl when a lot of people were in the ring, but that didn't happen. Kind of bummed the match sort of just got canceled I guess? There was a point near the end where Dain was alone in the ring and I felt like he was looking for Riddle but he couldn't find him and it was like "Ok well I guess we're done then". Not sure if that was the best ending, but it wasn't the worst either. It was good, just unexpected.

Overall, I enjoyed it. It felt like NXT, just a bit longer. Fingers crossed it stays awesome.
Pretty awesome show. I can't wait to start flipping back and forth between USA and TNT every Wednesday night like I'm 14 years old again. May have to start jerking off to Sunny again to really complete the full circle.

[+] 4 users Like Peezy's post
(09-18-2019, 08:18 PM)Obsidian Wrote: What really blows is I dunno how my DVR is gonna handle NXT, AEW, South Park and AHS all on Weds.

Decisions, decisions...

It’s always sunny starts next week too!
[Image: 4mWpL7U.png]
===
NXT
===

Advertised for tonight (Week 2):

Killian Dain vs. Matt Riddle in a street fight to crown a #1 contender
Imperium vs. KUSHIDA and two mystery partners
Dakota Kai in action
Keith Lee vs. Dominik Dijakovic
Forgot this was on. Saw what’s her tits wrestle...‘‘twas fine.

Matt Riddle and KD’s street fight part 2 was lame as fuck. Not good shit. They looked really not put together. Both were off.
Tuned out the tag match...doesn’t seem like I missed much.

Dollar Store Cowboy time!