Official NJPW/ROH Thread
Evil's been growing on me. It wasn't like that at first, but I've been slowly enjoying him more and more. That could change though seeing as I'm still working my way through March. I'm enjoying watching him going at it with Tanahashi.

I'm really looking forward to watching Tanahashi and Kushida progress. They keep giving small glimpses of it and I'm ready.

Win the Day!

[Image: vS1CaHG.png]

Who did Okada beat to become champion?

I feel like Omega vs Okada is gonna be a big Chaos vs Bullet Club brawl near the end.

What are the words on the front of Okada's robe? I thought it was the names of his victims.

WWE is trying to create or harness the mystique surronding the Japanese wrestling market. While foreign to me, I see quality there that is leaps and boynds better than most WWE ppvs. Has it always been that way or only recently?

During the Dokantu broadcast the commentators mentioned only 6 non Japanese have been IWGP champion, I know of 3;
AJ Styles, Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar... am I right?

I know AJ beat Okada (with help) who did Kurt beat/who beat him, same for Lesnar?
(03-17-2016, 02:01 PM)Wiggz Wrote: Jimmy King had a broken back and was paralyzed but he hopped out of his wheelchair and whooped Kanyon in Memphis. Then Sting broke six bones in his neck with a bat and in two weeks he came back and ruled ass.

Jimmy King > Sting

He beat Naito I believe.

As for the 6 non-Japanese champions.

Vader
Scott Norton
Bob Sapp
Brock Lesnar
AJ Styles
Salman Hashimikov (some Russian guy, I dunno, had to google him)

Kurt Angle actually isn't officially recognized as champion so he's not one of them. Long story there. Basically, Brock Lesnar won the title, but then when he couldn't agree to a new deal with NJPW, he left the company with the belt. Officially, NJPW stripped him of the title and had a tournament, which I believe Shinsuke Nakamura won. Meanwhile, Lesnar ended up taking the IWGP title to another promotion and defending it against Kurt Angle, who he lost to. Angle then had the belt, but NJPW didn't recognize him as champion. Eventually they worked out some deal and Angle had a match against Nakamura to unify the titles and Nakamura (who was officially already the IWGP champ) won. So technically, Kurt isn't recognized as ever having held it.

Basically, the 2011 Summer of Punk, but for real.

[Image: dFuaqKG.jpg]
I'm not sure if it counts, but Chono is from Seattle, WA.
[Image: 2zxDa-63bw4-1.gif?height=400&password=aS...&width=400]
I'm working on a larger piece of the history of Japanese wrestling (it will likely take me a few months) but as I understand it now, Japan has a very complex world title history.

-In the early days (1950's) there was pretty much (pretty much) just the JWA (it alternated names between Japan Pro Wrestling Alliance or Japan[ese] Wrestling Association).
-Their primary title was the Japanese Heavyweight Championship.
-In 1954 Rikidōzan won the Japanese Heavyweight Championship.
-In 1958 Rikidōzan vacated the JHC when he won the NWA (National Wrestling Alliance) International Heavyweight Championship.
-In 1964 Rikidōzan is murdered and forced to vacate the NWA International Heavyweight Championship.
-Giant Baba wins the tournament to crown a new champion four months later.
-The NWA International Heavyweight Championship changes hands a few times but ends up with Giant Baba in 1972.
-The JWA closed in 1973 and essentially split into three organizations: International Wrestling Enterprise, All Japan Pro Wrestling and New Japan Pro Wrestling.
-Giant Baba started the AJPW and long story short, the NWA Heavyweight Championship eventually got folded in with two other belts (PWF World Heavyweight Championship and NWA United National Championship) to form the Triple Crown Heavyweight Championship.
-That is still the primary belt for AJPW who has been on life support for a few years now.

-NJPW was founded in 1972 and used other belts as their primary title.
-The National Wrestling Federation (based out of New York) Heavyweight Championship was one of the belts they used although I believe there is another that I cannot remember at this time.

-Now then, rewind to 1959. The JWA had an annual tournament called "World Big League." This tournament ran until 1972.
-In 1974, NJPW adopted the tournament and called it the World League tournament.
-In 1978, they changed it to the Madison Square Garden League tournament.
-In 1981, the NWF belt just kind of went away. In kayfabe, Inoki vacated it to enter the tournament.
-In 1983 they changed the name once again to the International Wrestling Grand Prix (IWGP) League tournament.
-The first winner of the IWGP tournament was Hulk Hogan. He was awarded a belt but THIS WAS NOT THE IWGP CHAMPIONSHIP. The belt was more of a trophy (this will make more sense in a moment).

-In 1987, the winner of the IWGP tournament would be given a championship belt which NJPW would adopt as being their primary title.
-In 1988, the very last IWGP tournament was held.
-In 1989 they had the one and only World Cup League which I know very little about other than it was somehow different and it was Japan vs. US vs USSR.
-In 1990, there was no tournament.

-In 1991, The Grade One Climax (G1 Climax) Tournament was born!
[+] 1 user Likes Chris's post
Forgot to add:

-NWF title was reactivated in 2003 at a show that was a precurser to Wrestle Kingdom called Wrestle World. Yoshihiro Takayama beat Tsuyoshi Kosaka.
-One year later at Wrestle World 2004, Shinsuke Nakamura defeated Yoshiro Takayama to merge the NWF and IWGP Heavyweight Championships.
Results from the first ROH/NJPW show (untelevised):

-Hirooki Goto defeated Shane Taylor

The crowd heat for this was lacking as some people didn't really buy into Taylor or perhaps didn't know who he was. This might have been the weakest match on the card.

- Dalton Castle & The Boys defeated RPG Vice & Gedo

This had lots of comedy. Castle was really over with the Toronto crowd.

- Bully Ray defeated Hangman Page and Punishment Martinez

They had a good triple threat match. Of course, Bully Ray was over with the fans. He did classic Dudley Boyz spots with Page filling the role of D-Von.

- Cody defeated Will Ospreay

Both guys were really over and this match was super hot. Ospreay used a lot of his signature high spots, but toned things down a bit from the type of matches he was having last year. Cody was solid in his role and they had a good back and forth match.

- Tetsuya Naito & BUSHI defeated Matt Taven & Vinny Marseglia

This had an interesting dynamic given that both teams are heels. They had The Kingdom cut a heel promo on the crowd to counter that, making fun of the audience and the Toronto Raptors. Los Ingobernables de Japon (especially Naito) ended up being very over with the crowd anyway.

Naito hit the Destino on Marseglia to get the win. The match lacked heat a bit because no one bought that the Los Ingobernables team would lose.

- The Briscoes defeated EVIL & SANADA and Beer City Bruiser & Silas Young

The Briscoes ended up getting the win in this triple threat tag match. SANADA has quite the presence. The crowd wasn't really into Beer City Bruiser and Young, but they managed to win the audience over with high spots of their own.

- KUSHIDA defeated Jay Lethal

This was my favorite match of the night. It was really strong and they did a lot of pure wrestling. It went back and forth as they did some great counters. KUSHIDA nailed the Lethal Injection on Lethal at one point.

- The Elite (Kenny Omega & The Young Bucks) defeated Hiroshi Tanahashi & The Addiction (Christopher Daniels & Frankie Kazarian)

No one on this show was as over as The Elite. They were like rock stars to the crowd. As over as the Bucks were when they entered the ring, it was nothing compared to Omega. It's just amazing to see how much has changed in a year.

The match was full of crazy high spots and it never let up. The crowd was unglued for the whole thing, and it must have gone 30 minutes at least. Daniels was going to nail Omega with the championship belt at one point, but Cody ran in and grabbed the title from behind to make the save. The match finished with Omega hitting the One Winged Angel on Daniels for the pin.
Omega talking about the Shibata injury and pretty much confirming his career is over. Basically talking about him like he's dead.

Quote:"People need to understand the nature of what we do and the lifestyles that we live. There's this strange assumption that in between our big shows we're resting comfortably and entering every big match situation at 100%. The truth is that we're working every day, and our 'off' days are only absent of matches because the travel between destinations is too long. One headbutt didn't instantaneously end the career of a healthy, super athlete. I have no doubt that it contributed, (and is a move we should probably avoid as daily performers), but to place blame solely on that one maneuver is unfair.

"I could go on forever about the topic, but I'll leave on this note; a healthy Shibata could shrug off ten headbutts and wrestle 60+ minutes. In our sport, there are always risks in everything we do. Heck, ten years ago I tore my meniscus on my entrance, resulting in surgery. As we take more punishment and fatigue of the schedule starts to set in, the percentage of injury naturally increases and the body's limit drops considerably.

"Shibata was the kind of guy who would always give 110% and had been on a nonstop tear since before the G1 2016. He pushed past his own boundaries to keep his pace for the fans of NJPW, and the fatigue of being overworked for a year combined with the exhaustion of a 38-minute match is the true culprit."

I just don't see any kind of scenario where he comes back and wrestles again. I think he could eventually be back in some sort of role with the company, but his wrestling days are definitely over with.

Win the Day!

Yeah and they probably should be. I don't think I'd feel comfortable watching him wrestle again.
The Shibata story just continues to grow more and more depressing.

On a side note, the card for Dominion was released today and I created a separate thread for it. It is over a month away, but I just wanted to get that out of the way before I start back in with the BOSJ stuff. Dominion is NJPW's Summer Slam. There will not be a bad match on this card!
[Image: C_TfzfsUMAAHZpZ.jpg]

I would like to start doing separate threads for larger things (BOSJ, Dominion, G1, King of Pro Wrestling) and keep this as the general news/all purpose thread. That way it can be easier to avoid spoilers. Thoughts?
I like it. Go nuts.
[+] 1 user Likes Peezy's post
(05-05-2017, 04:10 PM)Hitchcock Wrote: I'd just like to use this thread to personally thank Chris for the hookup on the NJPW show in Long Beach. I didn't expect them to sell out so quick and missed my chance of buying a ticket and Chris had my back.

Glad to be able to help! Any luck tonight? Apparently the GA tickets that were released today sold out in 3 minutes!

Hold on. Did I just say......3 minutes?

That's absolutely amazing that they were able to sell out so quick. How many seats is the place they're having the shows?

Win the Day!

I think they are in the smallest exhibition hall at the LBC Convention Center...god only knows why they chose that as there are 4 other rooms on site that could facilitate a larger setup.

According to Evandeadlysins (a reliable source/major puro fan) this is the new configuration which holds 2,326:

[Image: C_WlbtnXcAAH_Zq.jpg]
Via Jim Ross
Quote:AXSTV has finalized their broadcast plans with NJPW for the July 1-2 weekend in Long Beach, California and the official announcement will be made on May 18. You're going to like what you hear.

Also, the really kind of fucked up the original seating chart which featured a more traditional entrance way and such. Everything is kind of flipped 180 degrees from the look of it and now I might not have as good of views of the entrances. It might seem less important, but I really enjoy that element of all wrestling shows. Here are where I think my seats are for each night. The green square should be Hitchcock for Night 2
[Image: 9iKfOll.png]
Great seats for each night. I really wish I could just up and bail to Long Beach for this. I'm extremely jealous of you guys at this moment.

Win the Day!

Well, if you decide to go you can stay at the condo we rented. It has a second room. It is on the beach, a 10 minute walk to the convention center and 10 minutes from the airport!
Sweet offer, but it probably won't be able to happen. I'm going to make it a priority the next time they come around though.

Catching up on the New Japan Cup matches and boy was that Yano v Fale match a piece of shit. A lot of these matches haven't really been all that great up to this point. About to watch the Shibata v Juice match meow.

Win the Day!

The Young Lions Cup is a total skip. Don't waste your time with it. Tomorrow night is the fucking STACKED ROH/NJPW War of the Worlds show. I'm on the fence about ordering this. I want to watch it live but streams are not always reliable. Then again, I don't want to pay $35 for the iPPV. Anyway, I don't think anyone will want to skip this:

Manhattan Center’s Hammerstein Ballroom
Friday, May 12, 2017
9:00pm EDT

ROH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
WORLD CHAMPION “ALMIGHTY” CHRISTOPHER DANIELS vs. “THE AMERICAN NIGHTMARE” CODY vs. JAY LETHAL
[Image: C_j4LaGXUAAhlum.jpg]

ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS THE YOUNG BUCKS (MATT & NICK JACKSON) vs. LOS INGOBERNABLES DE JAPON (IWGP INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPION TETSUYA NAITO & BUSHI)
[Image: C-SXqGPWAAAjuR9.jpg]

HIROSHI TANAHASHI vs. ADAM COLE
[Image: C_d5fHoXUAA7239.jpg]

ROH WORLD SIX MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
CHAOS (HIROOKI GOTO & ROPPONGI VICE) vs. ROH WORLD SIX MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS BULLY RAY & THE BRISCOES (if champions)
[Image: C-XRfddW0AA2VTJ.jpg]

WILL OSPREAY vs. JAY WHITE
[Image: C-vjAkQXoAIPWn_.jpg]

ROH WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP
ROH WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPION “THE VILLAIN” MARTY SCURLL (if champion) vs. “REBORN” MATT SYDAL
[Image: C-VzCl7UwAAr5c7.jpg]

TRIPLE THREAT – NON TITLE
IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS WAR MACHINE vs. LOS INGOBERNABLES DE JAPON (EVIL & SANADA) vs. SEARCH AND DESTROY (JONATHAN GRESHAM & CHRIS SABIN w/ALEX SHELLEY)
[Image: C-w1gzFXYAInYz_.jpg]

“THE HEAVY METAL REBEL” FRANKIE KAZARIAN vs. HANGMAN PAGE
[Image: C_inkb2XUAAZ_my.jpg]

FOUR CORNER SURVIVAL MATCH
KUSHIDA vs. DALTON CASTLE w/THE BOYS vs. BOBBY FISH vs. SILAS YOUNG
[Image: C-8NSyZWsAMkbS-.jpg]
There is supposed to be a feed:
http://taima.tv/r/wooo

Show starts around 6pm PST
NEW JAPAN ANNOUNCES NEW CHAMPIONSHIP, UNVEILS BELT
by Mike Johnson @ 8:47 PM on 5/12/2017

Prior to the Ring of Honor War of the Worlds PPV went on the air, Ring of Honor and New Japan Pro Wrestling officials came to the ring.

In a special ceremony, Kevin Kelly introduced the different officials who were in the ring. NJPW United States Ambassador George Carroll announced the company was introducing the IWGP United States championship and the first champion would be crowned at the 7/1 and 7/2 New Japan G-1 Special events in Long Beach, California.

The championship will be determined through a round robin tournmament held over the two nights.

They unveiled the championship, which got a huge "USA" chant.

They also announced the first person in the tournament will be Jay Lethal.

Lethal came out and cut a promo and said he was the first man to hold two ROH championships at the same time and would be the first IWGP U.S. champion.

Adam "Hangman" Page came to the ring and tried to get in the ring and challenge Lethal but was held back.

[Image: jFDcreK.jpg]
[Image: JgiqaMT.jpg]
[Image: C_qvkbQXoAAu3pq.jpg]
I don't like this. They have enough belts as it is right now...but yay for being a part of history?
That belt is huge or that Asian is small...
(03-17-2016, 02:01 PM)Wiggz Wrote: Jimmy King had a broken back and was paralyzed but he hopped out of his wheelchair and whooped Kanyon in Memphis. Then Sting broke six bones in his neck with a bat and in two weeks he came back and ruled ass.

Jimmy King > Sting

Both.
Shit just got super real!!!

Major shakeup going on. I wont post spoilers but here is a link to what just happened during the ROH/NJPW PPV:

http://i.imgur.com/1002JZC.jpg

Here is a fan video of part of what went down. I altered the link because there were spoilers in the video title.
h ttps://youtu.be/mGQSGmOlYvk
Just saw/read about it. Pretty awesome.

Not sure how I feel about the IWGP U.S. title. I guess if nothing else, it means they're going to start taking the U.S. market seriously which is awesome. Hopefully means they'll have more shows here.
Here's the actual video

(05-13-2017, 09:46 AM)Peezy Wrote: Just saw/read about it. Pretty awesome.

Not sure how I feel about the IWGP U.S. title. I guess if nothing else, it means they're going to start taking the U.S. market seriously which is awesome. Hopefully means they'll have more shows here.

They announced a while back that they were pretty much doing a promotion in 2018. The evidence points to them basing it out of LA and doing occasional spot shows outside of the area (the NXT model minus all the house shows).
[Image: C2cTVZ7WQAA7W02.jpg]
ROH/NJPW Spoilers thoughts below (spoiler warning).

Overall the show was nowhere near as good as I hoped. I went with the free live stream which had a ton of problems and took me out of some of the matches as a result. Even if it were flawless, I would have felt let down by this show. They needed one or two fewer matches so that they could give more time to others. The crowd was not miced sufficiently (a frequent problem in ROH) so the NY crowd did not seem nearly as loud as you know they were. The director also kept missing the important shots and would cut to another camera or call for a replay at the wrong time. That said, Jay White vs. Will Ospreay is really worth seeking out. Young Bucks vs. LIJ and Adam Cole vs. Tanahashi are probably tied for best inter-promotional match of the night. The rest is not bad but it isn't anything groundbreaking.

ROH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
WORLD CHAMPION “ALMIGHTY” CHRISTOPHER DANIELS vs. “THE AMERICAN NIGHTMARE” CODY vs. JAY LETHAL
-This match was ok. I have nothing really bad to say about it. The best part was the amazing finish.

ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS THE YOUNG BUCKS (MATT & NICK JACKSON) vs. LOS INGOBERNABLES DE JAPON (IWGP INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPION TETSUYA NAITO & BUSHI)
-Good, fun match. It was clear that Naito and Bushi were not going to win so it took the wind out of the sails.

HIROSHI TANAHASHI vs. ADAM COLE
-Solid match. Nothing was on the line between these two and yet they still had one of the best matches of the night (no need for all of that flippy shit). Tanahashi showed that hr was the vet. Best part of the night was the ending which has been talked about with Kenny and the Bucks kicking Adam Cole out of the Bullet Club and replacing him with Marty Scurll.

ROH WORLD SIX MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
CHAOS (HIROOKI GOTO & ROPPONGI VICE) vs. ROH WORLD SIX MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS BULLY RAY & THE BRISCOES
Complete throwaway match. Bubba announced early on that it is a hardcore match because lol ECW. His act is pretty stale and unfitting in ROH. He hasn't done anything related to Bully Ray. It has just been Dudley Boyz minus Devon.

WILL OSPREAY vs. JAY WHITE
-MATCH OF THE NIGHT! Will Ospreay cannot continue at this pace. If you thought Kurt Angle had a dead wish, you have seen nothing yet! Really though, Will seems to have one speed. He appeared to get spiked on his head in such a way that it would paralyze a heavyweight (good thing he is $1.50).

ROH WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP
ROH WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPION “THE VILLAIN” MARTY SCURLL (if champion) vs. “REBORN” MATT SYDAL
-Good. Typical Marty Scurll style match. I like watching Matt Sydal in the ring but he seems like a cunt outside of it that is slightly out of his mind. It makes me not want to see him win so Marty's victory made me happy!

TRIPLE THREAT – NON TITLE
IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS WAR MACHINE vs. LOS INGOBERNABLES DE JAPON (EVIL & SANADA) vs. SEARCH AND DESTROY (JONATHAN GRESHAM & CHRIS SABIN w/ALEX SHELLEY)
-This was a bit of a cluster. Guys were getting in the way of each other, Evil and Sanada seem to do ok working with the Americans, the moment of the night was the referee Tiger Hattori nearly get blasted with a stray chair. Unfortunately the camera missed it. This match should have oppened the show.

“THE HEAVY METAL REBEL” FRANKIE KAZARIAN vs. HANGMAN PAGE
-This was fine...nothing over the top. The finish seemed a bit rushed but I liked it. There was a pretty gross spot where both men kept spitting on one another. I missed that but apparently it was unpleasant.

FOUR CORNER SURVIVAL MATCH
KUSHIDA vs. DALTON CASTLE w/THE BOYS vs. BOBBY FISH vs. SILAS YOUNG
-Worst match of the night which was a shocker. Kushida did not seem to click all that well with the others...it was just kind of there.
I really don't enjoy the ROH product. Granted I haven't watched a lot of it, but from what I have seen, it just falls flat to me and I can't get in to it.

Win the Day!