Official NJPW/ROH Thread
I just finished watching the Road To Dontaku show from the 27th. Suzuki going fucking beast mode on Goto there at the end for the NEVER belt. And then attacking Red Shoes! That monster...
[Image: ryabFb2.jpg]
That was probably the most I have cared about Suzuki thus far. I don't hate him, I just feel indifferent towards him.

I'm still working on the 4/29 show which has been more enjoyable than the 4/27 show. The Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano vs. Kenny Omega, Bad Luck Fale & Chase Owens match had some great comedy gold. Bad Luck Fale was not at his best though and seemed to be moving a bit slow and a bit clumsy (more than usual). The IWGP Jr. Heavyweight title match between Hiromu Takahashi and Ricochet
was an awesome! Those two have such great chemistry. I highly recommend it!

And I am so pumped to see them just two months from today!
[Image: 150723-EJ-aerial-madison-square-garden-1519-Edit.jpg]
The main event of Wrestling Yutaka Country was not the breakout performance I had hoped for from Juice Robinson. That said, it was his best match ever. A year from now, he will be a bigger deal. Juice delivered two moves that HAD to have hurt Naito: the first was a spine buster from the floor to the apron, the second was a power bomb from the top rope. Once Robinson learns to be a bit more crisp and sell a little better, he will be ready for the next level. I think NJPW looks at him as a possible gaijin sex symbol.

Something happens after the match that I am less than excited about.
I'm happy to hear that NJPW just announced they are releasing more tickets for their G1 in the US special which means the live crowd will be bigger and add to the excitement!

For those of you who are still trying to get into New Japan, I suggest the "On The Road" series. It is kind of like WWE 24 with a little bit of kayfabe mixed in. It follows various stars leading into big events. They are split up into various episodes which are fairly short. It really helps you to get to know some of the guys behind the characters, see what Japan is really like, and it is all in English. Here is the latest episode:

Previous Episodes Cover:
Juice Robinson
Kenny Omega
Michael Elgin
Rapongi Vice
Will Ospreay
Jay White
David Finlay
Tama Tonga
[+] 1 user Likes Chris's post
I've never heard of that before. Neato.
I know I'm a bit behind you guys, but that Naito v Elgin match at NB in Osaka was pretty damn awesome. The way Naito sells is absolutely amazing and I'm glad I latched on to him as my early favorite before getting to this show. LIJ as a whole is a damn fine stable. I'm not all in on Evil, but the rest of them are great, especially Takahashi.

Win the Day!

[Image: vS1CaHG.png]

[+] 2 users Like Rob's post
SPOILER WARNING!

NJPW Wrestling Dontaku 2017 review below!

Hirai Kowato and YOSHITATSU vs. Katsuya Kitamura and Tomoyuki Oka
-First match was a throwaway per usual.

Bullet Club (Chase Owens & Yujiro Takahashi) vs. Chaos (Will Ospreay & YOSHI-HASHI)
- The Tokyo Pimp didn't deliver with the ladies.
-Will Ospreay is not being properly utilized. I completely forgot he won BOSJ last year. They have done nothing with him since.
-Chase Owens is pretty dull. He hasn't found his confidence yet. It shocks me they wanted him in the Bullet Club.
-Kevin Kelly is terrible sometimes. Don isn't any better. It is not an easy job, but they sure can make it hard to listen to at times.
-Weak finish to the match.

Jushin Thunder Liger, Manabu Nakanishi and Yuji Nagata vs. Tiger Mask, Tiger Mask W and Togi Makabe
-Liger can still go. He was doing a surfboard and had his fucking shoulder up (So it can't be counted as a pin).
-Fun 6 man tag but nothing to really make note of. I like having two Tiger masks team together. Makabe always makes me smile. Jushin flipping off Makabe at the end was funny.
-The copyrighted music thing is always obnoxious.

Chaos (Beretta, Hirooki Goto, Jado, Rocky Romero & Toru Yano) vs. Suzuki-gun (El Desperado, Minoru Suzuki, Taichi, TAKA Michonoku & Yoshinobu Kanemaru)
-Lots of comedy in this match. Not necessarily funny.
-Don and Kevin are both frequently guilty of breaking announcer etiquette 101: call the action that is on your monitor not what is directly in front of you.
-Don asks "please God give us Suzuki-Yano at some point." Well, they spent around a year and a half feuding (Recently too). They had like 20 matches. It became the Orton vs. Cena of NJPW.
-Ok match. Nothing exceptional.
-Im glad they did a pull apart at the end. It helped to add intensity that the match seemed to lack.

Just a general note, I really enjoy them having two entrance ways for this show.

Cody vs. David Finlay
-Finlay and his eyeliner look are not for me.
-Cody is not as crisp in the ring as he should be but he has so much charisma and confidence everywhere else. I'm extremely interested to see if he will take home the Ring of Honor World Heavyweight Championship in two weeks at War of the Worlds.
-This is a fairly American-style match but Finlay is showing his Japanese influence.
-I really like Cody's theme music. That isn't news, just stating an opinion.

Los Ingobernables de Japon (Tetsuya Naito & Hiromu Takahashi) vs. Juice Robinson & KUSHIDA
-Having the two most exciting members of LIJ team together feels special. Both of these men are total stars.
-I enjoy the way Takahashi adores his belt and got friendly with Naito's IC championship.
-Kushida brawling early on is great storytelling given his last encounter with Takahashi. That being said, I want Takahashi to move on to someone else. I think he and Ospreay at Wrestle Kingdom 12 would be epic.
-Juice continuing to sell the knee is one reason I'm really enjoying NJPW. WWE just does not tell stories anymore. No, Roman coming out taped up does not count! Shut up!
-Takahashi is on fire! I hope we get to see him and Naito do battle at G1 given their amazing in ring talents.

War Machine (Hanson & Raymond Rowe) © vs. Guerillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tanga Roa) vs. Tencozy (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima)
IWGP Tag Team Championship

-Tama Tonga is a star on the rise. He is growing a little bit each month.
-Tenzan's mask always looked a bit silly to me.
-I dig War Machine's new gear!
-I didn't take too many notes during this match. It was a lot of fun to watch and the best of the show thus far! Lots of action, very unpredictable.
-I think we will get War Machine vs. GoD at destruction or G1 US Special.

Taguchi Japan (Hiroshi Tanahashi, Ricochet and Ryusuke Taguchi) © vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI, EVIL & SANADA)
NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Team Championship

-EVIL needs to spice up his entrance. It just needs something new.
-Sanada has always had a weak entrance IMO. Having just the mask looks silly to me.
-Taguchi Japan is officially a thing. I'm not a fan. I hate Taguchi and Tanahashi but Ricochet is top 4 in the world today.
-I enjoyed the corner spot comedy/beatdown.
-At some point I will have to accept the tie up spot. It is in Taguchi's permanent repertoire...but it stopped being funny the second time I saw it.
-Tanahashi, as much as I don't like his look and mannerisms, is a phenomenal wrestler. His ability to absorb the knees when hitting a blocked frog splash is impressive. If he can make that look good, he is brilliant. If he actually takes the brunt of it, he is a tough, tough man! A stupid man, but a tough man.
-Bushi's bridging backslide was fantastic! I really thought the match was over.
- And Neeeeeeeeewwww. Not a shocker. This belts were created just to do frequent title changes.

Kenny Omega vs. Tomohiro Ishii
-Omega came out without a shirt which means he is ready to work tonight! And the announcers brought it up. Mixed feelings on that. Funny...but not it breaks too much kayfabe.
-Omega took three nasty bumps in a row. A German, a closeline, and a power bomb. The power bomb wasn't too bad but it didn't have much give.
-Ishii might be injured. He is having a hard time holding Omega up...and Omega is not a heavy guy.
-Christ! That crossbody by Omega nearly killed them both! Omega landed on Ishii's head/neck!
-There are some good near-falls in this match.
-THAT FUCKING KNEE!
-Fantastic reverse-ranna by Ishii!
-Expert nuances from Omega. Closing his eyes then his eyelids pop open just before the 3 count as he kicks out.
-Match of the night for me.

Kazuchika Okada © vs. Bad Luck Fale
IWGP Heavyweight Championship

-Fale out first, looking like a beast. Definitely feels like a video game boss and I love it! Having the Bullet Club banner like in MMA is a fun touch. I kind of dig it.
-Glad the purple is mostly out of Okada's hair.
-Seeing Okada in the ring with Fale exposes how Fale is a big fish in a small pond. Despite the illusion, he is only about 6'4.
-Holy shit @ Okada hitting the tombstone!
- My heart sank for a moment when Fale hit the tombstone and made the cover. Okada kicked out at the right time...just long enough to make me believe.
-Nice ending sequence. It made Fale look strong.
- And the build begins for Omega and Okada rematch! I'm very sad that they are doing it at the Dominion PPV and not Long Beach.
Not reading any of this review yet. Gonna try to watch the show tonight or tomorrow.
English commentary. How?
(03-17-2016, 02:01 PM)Wiggz Wrote: Jimmy King had a broken back and was paralyzed but he hopped out of his wheelchair and whooped Kanyon in Memphis. Then Sting broke six bones in his neck with a bat and in two weeks he came back and ruled ass.

Jimmy King > Sting

NJPW brings in Kevin Kelly (former WWE commentator, long time ROH commentator) and Don Callis (known as The Jackal in WWF, Cyrus in ECW, and best friend of Chris Jericho). They duplicate the video feed and run a separate audio feed. They don't do very many shows in English but they do the big ones. Example for this month there is only one:
[Image: WaCU3rI.jpg]

On the website you can select English as your primary language. If you are looking for today's PPV, here is a direct link:
http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00438_1_1
[+] 1 user Likes Chris's post
I'm working my way up to today's PPV. I don't know how important the Honor Rising shows are, but I'm watching them anyway as they seem like a semi big deal. I don't watch ROH so I have no idea who some of the guys are. I feel that after watching a couple more shows in English, I'll probably just start watching the Japanese feeds as I'm getting pretty familiar with all the factions and who they are. I'm a lot more involved in this than I ever thought I would be.

Win the Day!

[+] 2 users Like Rob's post
The Honor Rising shows aren't that important. Some fun matches, but nothing vital.

English commentary is definitely helpful when you're still trying to follow along. But man, the Japanese commentary can be fun too because those guys get waaaaaay the fuck into it. I have no idea what they're saying but they get me excited when the match is getting good.
[+] 1 user Likes Peezy's post
I would be legit scared of Ishii on an elevator with me.
(03-17-2016, 02:01 PM)Wiggz Wrote: Jimmy King had a broken back and was paralyzed but he hopped out of his wheelchair and whooped Kanyon in Memphis. Then Sting broke six bones in his neck with a bat and in two weeks he came back and ruled ass.

Jimmy King > Sting

I fucking love Ishii. But yes, he looks like a killer.
Just now watching the latest show. Thoughts as I watch:

- these 2 chicks with Takahashi are cute but they got nothing on my boo Bunny Ears.

- Kevin Kelly is okay but I miss Steve Corino. And I wish both of them would take it more seriously and not joke around so much.

- Suzuki just going mass murderer on everyone in the 8 man match was awesome. Even in a match with a lot of comedy, they made him a scary Brock Lesnar-esque killer. And the end with him and Goto was great.

Falling asleep. More tomorrow...
So in more Shibata news....he's still hospitalized, nearly a month after the match, and is reportedly almost totally blind in his right eye and partially deaf in his right ear, after having 2 skull surgeries.

Pretty safe to say we'll never see him wrestle again. At least he went out with an all-time classic match. But fuck this is sad.
That's horrible news. A part of me is excited to get to that match, but the other part doesn't want to see it knowing what happens.

Win the Day!

The match is incredible. The headbutt spot (you'll know it when it happens) is what apparently caused it.
Yeah, I've read all about it. The part that's hard to stomach is that it shouldn't​ have happened. I get the Japanese style and everything, but legit headbutts just shouldn't be happening at this point. There are zero benefits to it and it could have been devastating if it took Okada out as well.

Win the Day!

Oh no doubt. It was foolish and it makes it doubly sad that Shibata's career is probably over due to such a stupid fucking move. We're definitely lucky he didn't take out Okada also.

Good news is that's probably the last time we'll ever see a direct headbutt like that again.
There has been criticism lately over headshots in NJPW since then which included some stiff chairshots. What bothers me more than those are the frequent blows to the back of the head and neck when wrestlers are dropped/land there. Guys can survive a lot of things but in no way can that be good for you.
I'm s still very new to NJPW but they really do need to take all of these criticisms to heart and adapt. I know that they have an extremely long tradition of a very hard style and are even more protective of it. They need to protect these young guys even more though going forward. There are ways to make things appear to be devastating without them actually almost killing somebody.

Win the Day!

I'd just like to use this thread to personally thank Chris for the hookup on the NJPW show in Long Beach. I didn't expect them to sell out so quick and missed my chance of buying a ticket and Chris had my back.
[Image: 3GJrzHf.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like Hitchcock's post
Just finishing up the 45th Anniversary show. Some decent matches on this show. First, I fucking hate Yano. He bugs me like no other. I would rather watch 4 hours of Taichi's shitty lip sync entrance than watch Yano. I was happy to see him eat the pin.

Before this show, I didn't get Taguchi. From the shows I watched, was he just portraying somebody trying to be crazy or something? His match with Takahashi was absolutely solid though. I loved seeing this more badass side of him. Takahashi was fantastic and I look forward to seeing him defend the belt against Kushida.

Naito is still the man.

Win the Day!

[+] 1 user Likes Rob's post
I like Yano, he's like Japanese Santino to me haha. But I can see how his act would get old.

Heart Naito
Guess he's just not my cup of anything.

Just subscribed to NJPWWorld so I can watch New Japan Cup. Even though I know the result, there are still some good matchups I want to see. This first show doesn't have commentary. Is that normal through the site?

Win the Day!

Yeah sometimes on the less important shows, there's just straight up no commentary. It's a little weird but you get used to it.
Back to Dontaku watching and thoughts.

- David Finlay's eyeliner is stupid but he's pretty decent. Especially for only being 23 years old. I think he's got a pretty good future ahead of him.

- I've really gotten to like Cody during this run of his career. I've seen other people say that he hasn't really impressed them but he's just got a ton of charisma. And best of all, he still seems passionate about wrestling and it shows.

- during the Cody/Findlay match, I feel like Callis spent the entire match referencing both guy's dads and brothers. Every few seconds, "Shades of his brother. Just like his father. Paying homage to his family legacy."

- Loved the Kushida/Juice vs. Naito//Takahashi was great. Loved it getting out of control at the beginning with everyone fighting in crowd. I will never understand how resident NXT hippie CJ Parker has become such a strong upper midcarder in Japan. He's so much better here than he ever was in NXT.

Sleepy again. More later...
I like Omega's finisher.

Cody does seem to be getting better and better. E is gonna sign him to a bigger contract. He'll do what his brother never did, get the World title.

Jimmy King > Sting

- I love the story of Kushida just being unable to hang with Takahashi.

- Meltzer was saying on Twitter just yesterday that WWE tried to get Tama Tonga when they raided NJPW last year (when they took AJ, Nakamura, & The Club). And he keeps getting better. And even though he's Tongan, he looks Samoan enough, so you know Vince will be all over him eventually. I think we'll see at least him in NXT sooner or later, if not both of them.

- I like War Machine. Just a couple of big hoss motherfuckers.

- Loved Tencozy with the Honma tribute.

- I like how Tonga is incapable of speaking without dropping F-bombs.

- Evil doesn't really do it for me. I dunno, just not a fan. I like Sanada though even if he's a black hole of charisma. And Ricochet is 1000% going to be in WWE within the next couple of years and he's gonna blow people's minds.

- I'm with Chris, I hate the tie-up spot. It's a cute little comedy thing but good lord, it's so dumb.

- Omega/Ishii, my god. I just stopped everything I was doing to focus on that. Omega is obviously one of the best in the world right now and I love Ishii so much. What a fucking great match.

- Fale/Okada was pretty good. But Okada has pretty much been averaging 5-star classics since winning the title and this wasn't that. But even though Okada is arguably the best wrestler in the world right now, there's only so much you can do when working with Fale. Okada carried it as best he could though.

- Bring on Omega/Okada II. My body is ready.