Official NJPW/ROH Thread
I actually skipped that show. Too much other shit to watch and I feel like I'm familiar enough with the NJPW guys now that I can mostly skip the throwaway "Road To..." shows.

Wrestling Toyonokuni on the 29th and Wrestling Dontaku on May 3rd are the ones I'm waiting for next. Naito vs. Juice and Ishii vs. Omega (plus Okada vs. Fale which doesn't sound all that great considering, well...Fale. But Okada is pretty much averaging 5-star title defenses now, so maybe he can drag a miracle out of Fale).
[Image: dFuaqKG.jpg]
I decided to just put it on in the background while I did other things. You seem to have a loaded playlist as I recall, but if you ever miss a show and don't have the ability to watch, check out New Japan Purocast. It is two guys who are very familiar with the product who recap each show, discuss news and rumors, etc. They don't have the biggest personalities behind the mic but I do enjoy listening to people who are far more knowledgeable than I discuss NJPW.
[Image: 2zxDa-63bw4-1.gif?height=400&password=aS...&width=400]
Oh nice, never heard of that but I'll check it out.
Here is some great news:
[Image: C-PWDbdUIAAkjfE.jpg]

Boom. He is walking again.
Whooohoo!

In less good news, I just read that Shibata is still partially paralyzed on his right side and needs another surgery.
(04-20-2017, 12:33 PM)Peezy Wrote: This REALLY sucks. I'm a big Shibata fan, he's like Japanese Cesaro. But man that blows.

More like the Japanese DB now.
[Image: 3GJrzHf.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Hitchcock's post
Frown
Better than the Japanese Chris Benoit
[Image: hhhpacblue62-300x211.png]

[Image: C-SXqGPWAAAjuR9.jpg]
[Image: C-RgbXQXcAAX4xf.jpg]
[Image: C-Pyds7WsAAKVY3.jpg]

5/12/17 - WAR OF THE WORLDS PPV - NYC
The Best Wrestling on the Planet returns to the Manhattan Center’s Hammerstein Ballroom for the War of the Worlds Pay Per View event on Friday May 12!

For the fourth-consecutive year, the stars of Ring of Honor and New Japan Pro-Wrestling will do battle with and against one another on the War of the Worlds Tour! Titles will be contested and dream matches realized as all of your favorite stars from ROH and NJPW do battle in Toronto, Dearborn, New York City, and Philadelphia! With the relationship between ROH and NJPW stronger than ever, tickets have moved fast and these events will sell out. If you are considering coming, do not hesitate! Time is of the essence – get your tickets now!

ALREADY SIGNED

MAIN EVENT
ROH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

THE WINNER OF ROH WORLD CHAMPION “ALMIGHTY” CHRISTOPHER DANIELS AND MATT TAVEN AT WAR OF THE WORLDS - DEARBORN vs. “THE AMERICAN NIGHTMARE” CODY vs. THE WINNER OF THE FOUR CORNERS SURVIVAL MATCH BETWEEN HANGMAN PAGE, JAY LETHAL, JAY WHITE, & SILAS YOUNG

ROH WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP

ROH WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPION “THE VILLAIN” MARTY SCURLL (if champion) vs. “REBORN” MATT SYDAL

ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS THE YOUNG BUCKS (MATT & NICK JACKSON) vs. LOS INGOBERNABLES DE JAPON (IWGP INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPION TETSUYA NAITO & BUSHI)

HIROSHI TANAHASHI vs. ADAM COLE

SIGNED TO APPEAR

ROH WORLD CHAMPION Christopher Daniels
ROH WORLD 6-MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS Bully Ray, Mark & Jay Briscoe
New Japan’s NEVER OPENWEIGHT CHAMPION Hirooki Goto
New Japan’s KUSHIDA
New Japan’s EVIL
New Japan’s SANADA
New Japan’s Gedo
Will Ospreay
Dalton Castle
Jay Lethal
and more!

PPV / iPPV / VOD
Local Time: Friday, May 12, 2017 09:00pm EDT

That will be a fun show. They are doing a mini tour and hittting Pennsylvania and Michigan.
Also, I'm glad to see more than just me and Chris in this thread. I wish more people here were into NJPW. It's a lot to dive into for sure, but once you do, it's so good.
Watching the latest Road to Don Taco show. Fucking loooool @ how awful Taichi's entrance is...but goddamn would Miho Abe get a gullet full of my gaijin girth.

I had the last two matches spoiled for me but there are some noteworthy things that happen on this show.

In NOAH news, Bram of TNA fame has been suspended for a social media photo...nobody is clear why other than it was somehow offensive to Japanese people and it might have to do with some recent story in the news over there but I really don't know.
[Image: bram-fridge-1493231867-800.jpg]
Yeah I saw that. That's dumb.

And yeah I'm downloading this Road To show because I heard some stuff also

And Takahashi's bunny ear girl is still my bae.

https://www.instagram.com/muffin030ass/?hl=en
[+] 1 user Likes Peezy's post
Alright gentlemen, I'd love to be in on these conversations. I watched WK11 and absolutely loved it. Tell me where I should start. Should I go back and watch anything prior to WK11 or am I okay to start afterward? Where should I begin?

Win the Day!

[Image: vS1CaHG.png]

Is there much missing from this list? Should I just start with New Year's Dash and watch everything?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Win the Day!

I think I posted somewhere on the first page a bunch of links to help you familiarize yourself with it. Kinda breaks down people, factions, gimmicks, etc.

As for where to start, WK11 is a good enough place. There's lots of great stuff before it, but it's not vital.

If you're a redditer, I highly suggest going to read the post-show threads on there of any shows you watch. Lots of people who are longtime fans discussing it helps me pick up on stuff I've missed.
[+] 1 user Likes Peezy's post
just in r/squaredcircle?

Also, did that screenshot I posted cover everything or are there shows that aren't on there?

Win the Day!

Watch NYD and look for me!

But seriously, NYD didnt quite set up storylines like it had in years past. If I were you I would just watch all of the Okada 1 on 1 matches from this year and the rise of Shibata (most of his singles matches). Or start watching their next big PPV on Wednesday called
Wrestling Dontaku.

Here is a quick rundown of guys to watch out for/fun facts about current NJPW talent:

Bad Luck Fale - current #1 contender for the world title.

Bone Soldier - Bullet Club's jobber, formerly known as Captain New Japan.

Evil - Fun entrance, kind of effeminate style, solid midcarder.

Gedo - Co-head booker for NJPW, low/midcard worker, carries around Okada's belt. Jado is the other Booker.

Tanahashi - The John Cena of NJPW, fancies himself as a rockstar, women love him, I hate him.

Juice Robinson - former NXT jobber who is a rising star and #1 contender for the IC title.

Jushin Liger - Working mostly tags in a Legends role but can still go in the ring.

Shibata - Dan Severn/Lou Thez like guy. No nonsense, worked MMA style, almost became a massive star but recently ruined his career due to an intentional headbutt and dehydration. Now he has partial paralysis and brain hemorrhaging. Will likely never wrestle again.

Kazuchika Okada - Heavyweight Champion, new John Cena of Japan, best wrestler in the world right now. Currently considered our generation's Ric Flair.

Kenny Omega - May also be the best wrestler in the world. Kenny is Canadian but well loved in Japan. He was a former midcarder in the Bullet Club but took over once AJ, Gallows, and Anderson left. Last year they did a year long storyline about his quest for the heavyweight title that culminated at WK11. He was the first ever gaijin (foreigner) to win the G1 Climax tournament which is a massive deal.

The G1 Climax is a 27 year old tournament. These days it's a combination of King of the Ring and MitB but the tournament finals are as big as the Royal Rumble. The winner gets a trophy and a title shot. It takes place from July through August. The tournament is point based and a little complex but it keeps a lot of the roster busy and is comparable to NBA/NFL playoffs.

Michael Elgin - He is about 3 feet tall but treated like a monster. Total Powerhouse. Has had an on again/off again push.

Hiromu Takahashi - Recently returned to NJPW and is a rising star, has a ton of swagger, is awesome.

Tama Tonga - Son of Haku, cousin of Rock/Roman/Usos, used to suck but suddenly got better, half of the Bullet Club tag team Gorillas of Destiny  (GoD), looks like Roman and Seth, sometimes paints face.
Tanga Roa - Other half of GoD, still green, used to be Camacho in WWE, real life brother of Tama Tonga.
Naito - IC champ, leader of the LIJ, most popular star in the company right now, doesn't give a fuck, solid wrestler capable of 5 star matches.

Makabe - Strong style wrestler, kind of older, had a chip endorsement deal.

Honma - Recently paralyzed after taking a draping DDT (Orton style).

Yano - Santino of NJPW. He is a hilarious coward who continuously cheats to win.

Tiger Mask IV - Being phased out, same deal as Liger, can't go as hard though.
Tiger Mask W - Currently an anime series in Japan, real life portrayed by Kota Ibushi who is probably top 10 in the world, not currently signed to any company so he does sporadic appearances.

Rocky Ramero - American wrestler but pretty fluent in Japanese, Half of Roppongi Vice, funny and slightly crazy.
Trent Barreta - Other half of Roppongi Vice, solid wrestler, funny guy, rising Indy star, had a cup of coffee in WWE.

Bushi - Awesome masks.
[+] 2 users Like Chris's post
Thanks guys. I hope to be caught up fairly soon-ish and can engage in these conversations as well. I will definitely watch the next PPV.

Win the Day!

[+] 2 users Like Rob's post
As noted above, the ROH War of the Worlds PPV is coming up too which should be fun to watch but probably won't have any major implications outside of maybe the IWGP tag belts. Maaaybe some setup for the Best of the Super Juniors tournament, maybe some setup for the G1 Special.

Speaking of, thank you once again Peezy! There have been next to no comparable tickets on Stubhub. The ones that are available are all $500-$600 each for Row 2. They are still looking into additional seating options due to the high demand but it has been weeks and no new info has come out.
[+] 1 user Likes Chris's post
(04-27-2017, 05:59 PM)Peezy Wrote: And Takahashi's bunny ear girl is still my bae.

https://www.instagram.com/muffin030ass/?hl=en

Another beautiful NJPW slut:
https://www.instagram.com/yellowbarbie_m/
Yeah man I'm telling ya, NJPW has given me a newfound Asian fetish ha
Just finished New Year Dash. A couple of observations and questions.

First, I dig the fuck out of both Naito and Tama Tanga. It's only one show, but I love Naito's attitude. Is that pretty much how he is all the time?

Second, I keep mixing up Yoshi Tatsu and Yoshi Hashi. Why the fuck is Toshi Tatsu tagging with Billy Gunn? Even against little yellow men, he still isn't intimidating. Norton was more intimidating than Gunn.

Is everybody involved in some sort of faction? Speaking​ of factions, I don't know anything about Suzuki Gun, but they look like unstoppable monsters. Suzuki, the leader dude, legit looks like somebody you don't ever want to fuck with. I dig them.

Michael Elgin gets a meh from me right now. He seems wildly popular, I probably have to go back and watch more of him.

Win the Day!

Naito is like that now, yeah. I might have some of the details wrong but I believe a few years ago, he was being groomed as the face of the company and the fans rejected him, ala Roman Reigns. So he left NJPW for awhile and went to work in Mexico, where he was part of Los Ingobernables (which, funny enough, was formed by NXT's own Andre Cein Almas). When he came back to Japan, he returned with this "fuck you" sort of attitude, where he's just completely disrespectful to everyone. He throws the title belts around and just has no respect for them, bullies referees and announcers, and just basically treats everyone with total disdain because of how they treated him years ago. Also, he formed a Japanese version of Los Ingobernables, which is the faction he's the leader of.

Funny enough, it's basically the exact same gimmick they should be giving Roman.

Norton and Billy Gunn aren't there after NY Dash so don't worry about them. Every year at Wrestle Kingdom, the opening match is a battle royal featuring old legends, surprise entrants, and some comedy shit. Gunn and Norton were 2 of the surprise entrants in that battle royal and they just stuck around the next night for NY Dash. But they're gone after that.

Most people are in factions yes, except a handful of guys who aren't. I think one of the links on the first page lists all the factions, who's in what, how they formed, etc.

Suzuki really IS a bad ass. He did MMA in Pancrase for years in the early/mid-90s before transitioning to wrestling. He's like 50 years old or some shit now but he'd still fuck up most people.

As far as Suzuki-gun, they have been gone for a couple of years until recently. They went to another company in Japan (NOAH) and basically took them over like the nWo or something, before returning to NJPW at NY Dash.

Elgin seems sorta boring on the surface but he's got a handful of really great matches in NJPW. But yeah he's not my favorite either. He's fine for what he is, but not really my type. But Japanese fans love them some big ol' hoss types and he fits the bill.
[+] 2 users Like Peezy's post
I wanna get into NJPW. I watched WK from this year, shit is awesome.

My problem is how to watch. Like I usually watch wrestling from my phone because I don't use my computer, ever.
(03-17-2016, 02:01 PM)Wiggz Wrote: Jimmy King had a broken back and was paralyzed but he hopped out of his wheelchair and whooped Kanyon in Memphis. Then Sting broke six bones in his neck with a bat and in two weeks he came back and ruled ass.

Jimmy King > Sting

Not a problem! If anyone here wants to try out NJPW World (Their version of the Network), I will send you my login info for you to try it out along with a video of how easy it is to watch stuff on demand!

For mobile devices you only have to do the following:
-Download NJPW World
-Pressing the app icon will launch your browser and take you to njpwworld.com. This is redundant, I know. But the app contains the video player necessary to watch.
-Once NJPWWorld.com has loaded, press MENU then press DELIVERY SCHEDULE.
-Delivery Schedule is a list of their most recent, live, and upcoming shows. Simply click on whichever one you wish to watch!

If you want to watch something older, click the white box named ARCHIVE.
[+] 1 user Likes Chris's post
(04-29-2017, 03:31 PM)Peezy Wrote: Naito is like that now, yeah. I might have some of the details wrong but I believe a few years ago, he was being groomed as the face of the company and the fans rejected him, ala Roman Reigns. So he left NJPW for awhile and went to work in Mexico, where he was part of Los Ingobernables (which, funny enough, was formed by NXT's own Andre Cein Almas). When he came back to Japan, he returned with this "fuck you" sort of attitude, where he's just completely disrespectful to everyone. He throws the title belts around and just has no respect for them, bullies referees and announcers, and just basically treats everyone with total disdain because of how they treated him years ago. Also, he formed a Japanese version of Los Ingobernables, which is the faction he's the leader of.

Funny enough, it's basically the exact same gimmick they should be giving Roman.

Norton and Billy Gunn aren't there after NY Dash so don't worry about them. Every year at Wrestle Kingdom, the opening match is a battle royal featuring old legends, surprise entrants, and some comedy shit. Gunn and Norton were 2 of the surprise entrants in that battle royal and they just stuck around the next night for NY Dash. But they're gone after that.

Most people are in factions yes, except a handful of guys who aren't. I think one of the links on the first page lists all the factions, who's in what, how they formed, etc.

Suzuki really IS a bad ass. He did MMA in Pancrase for years in the early/mid-90s before transitioning to wrestling. He's like 50 years old or some shit now but he'd still fuck up most people.

As far as Suzuki-gun, they have been gone for a couple of years until recently. They went to another company in Japan (NOAH) and basically took them over like the nWo or something, before returning to NJPW at NY Dash.

Elgin seems sorta boring on the surface but he's got a handful of really great matches in NJPW. But yeah he's not my favorite either. He's fine for what he is, but not really my type. But Japanese fans love them some big ol' hoss types and he fits the bill.

Peezy nailed it. Just a few points to add:

-A few fun facts about Naito: he spent a few months in TNA which included jobbing in a match to Kevin Nash.
-Naito was also a member of the group CHAOS when it was lead by Shinsuke Nakamura.
-The Roman Reigns comparison is somewhat accurate but his popularity wasn't outright rejected as much. Okada and Naito were set to main event WK8 but the powers that be saw money in the IC title picture. So they did a poll asking fans who they wanted to main event WK8 and the fans chose Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Shinsuke. Apparently the poll wasn't even close.
-Naito's eye taunt was created by the Mexican audiences who used to mock him and other Asian wrestlers for their eyes looking closed. So he started mocking them right back by making fun of them for their wide-open round eyes.

-Wrestle Kingdom does a Royal Rumble match each year to open the show. It is slightly different in that it allows pinfall and submission eliminations in addition to over the top rope. This allows them to add in more old timers who can't really go hard in the ring.
-Billy Gunn was brought in for reasons unknown. My speculation is that Gedo, co-booker of NJPW, is a big fan of American wrestling and saw that he was available. If you recall, WWE fired him while he was an NXT trainer for failing a drug test held by a bodybuilding competition not associated in any way with WWE.
-Yoshi Tatsu went from Japan to WWE and then to NJPW. Upon his return, he had sour grapes over his WWE run. At the same time, Bullet Club was owning everyone in Japan. So Yoshi became the Bullet Club Hunter...and he has adopted a number of HHH's trademarks. So for those reasons, they put Yoshi and Gunn together. I guess they were trying to be cute? As an aside, AJ Styles broke Yoshi's neck early on into his 2015 return. The blame is not on AJ though as Yoshi took the Styles Clash wrong by instinctively tucking his chin.
-Scott Norton was a big deal in Japan. He is a legit tough guy (former arm wrestling world champion). Scott was even in the cult classic Over The Top. He was also an IWGP Heavyweight Champion back around the end of his WCW run (99/2000). The best comparison I can come up with is if Batista randomly showed up as a surprise entrant of the 2024 Royal Rumble. Oh, and just to sprinkle in a little WTF: Norton used to be tag partners in Japan with Ludvig Borga. Not good enough? Scott Norton used to be a body gaurd for Prince.

-SG needs some tweaking as a group. Peezy did a good job explaining their history. Pro Wrestling NOAH was once a strong promotion but they have fallen on hard times. NJPW was doing a working agreement with them but new investors came in and NJPW bounced. So they pretty much pulled all of their guys out which is a big reason for the sudden invasion. Davey Smith Jr. and Lance Archer AKA the Killer Elite Squad were supposed to have a larger role but that fell apart soon after NYD when Archer injured his back. Archer is a former TNA star and once had a cup of coffee in WWE.

-Elgin is an odd one. He was built up randomly by ROH and became their world champion...then did some really weird worked-shoot storyline involving his visa (Mike is from Canada). He has had on again/off again pushes from both NJPW and ROH. Last year he dropped the IC title to Naito. In one of their matches, Naito legit broke his orbital socket which required surgery. He was out for a few months and that WK11 Rumble was his big return. I think NJPW sees him as the next Scott Norton. Something I will say is that he hits hard. When Irish whipped I into the turnbuckle, he will make the ring move several inches.
[+] 2 users Like Chris's post
I think it only works for Android, which I have for my work phone!
(03-17-2016, 02:01 PM)Wiggz Wrote: Jimmy King had a broken back and was paralyzed but he hopped out of his wheelchair and whooped Kanyon in Memphis. Then Sting broke six bones in his neck with a bat and in two weeks he came back and ruled ass.

Jimmy King > Sting

Good stuff Chris and Peezy. You guys are filling things in and explaining them nicely.

I'm starting New Beginnings in Sapporo​ now and might just watch the one from Osaka instead of watching Payback tonight. I honestly have very little interest in tonight's PPV. I checked out the link in the OP about all the must watch shows and am starting there. I'll probably watch all the big shows up to this point and then go back and fill in some blanks with the in between shows.

Win the Day!

[+] 2 users Like Rob's post
Not that Dave Meltzer is the be all end all of wrestling, but you might want to look at his star ratings ahead of time to determine if some matches are worth skipping. A lot of those 6 man tag matches are just filler.
I'm just now watching Wrestling Yutaka Country (4/29 event). WTF is with Yoshi Tatsu? He has a perm and his breasts/nipples look raw. Like its really pale then really red.