FIFA World Cup
Does anyone else watch it or will be watching the US/Portugal match here at 5? Don't know of any soccer fans here.
[Image: Fa12_AT_Ohio_State_Glove_15669-675x380.jpg]
Will be watching.
Of course the US gives up a goal less than 3 minutes into the match..
Belgium won again. Fuck everything else
[Image: 934677_573863302661411_609865347_n.jpg]
I'm truly speechless at the end of US/Portugal. That win was all but in the bag. That extra minute they added to additional time truly was the difference in the US not sealing the deal. Thursday is it for the US. Either they beat/tie Germany or it's over. I'm real curious to see who comes out of that bracket at the end of the day.
I was fucking astonished that they scored that goal with 10 seconds left. Literally speechless.

I'm really looking forward to the Mexico v. Croatia and the Australia v. Spain matches tomorrow. Have the day off so I'm probably going to spend the entire day watching all of them.

Win the Day!

[Image: vS1CaHG.png]

(06-22-2014, 07:54 PM)Obsidian Wrote: Thursday is it for the US. Either they beat/tie Germany or it's over. I'm real curious to see who comes out of that bracket at the end of the day.

"USA advances with: - Win/draw vs Germany OR - Loss & POR-GHA draw OR - Loss & win tiebreaker vs POR-GHA winner"
[Image: 2qbeluq.jpg]

btw what happened to Spain? I didn't see them getting eliminated after 2 games

[Image: 10489828_689982261072852_1409154310293041147_n.jpg]

They got eliminated after two games.
[Image: 04mangold-blog480.jpg]
[Image: xENONYMOUSx.png]
That's why I'm really thinking whoever comes out of Group G may end up taking it all. If not someone of Group G, France is looking pretty tough too.

As much as I'd love it if the US won, the team still feels empty without Landon Donovan.
(06-23-2014, 01:41 PM)Enon Wrote: They got eliminated after two games.

yeah I know but who actually saw that coming? I didn't think they would repeat but still expected them to get out the group stage.

Yeah I don't think anyone saw Spain getting eliminated early much like nobody expected England to play as poorly as they have. It's funny that the teams who look the best so far are non-South American (Netherlands, France, Germany, Belgium;etc)
I'm not really that surprised about England, they usually suck in the World Cup (excluding 1966). Being American I obviously want the US to win the World Cup but realistically when they come up short I would like a European team to win it, last team I want to see win it all is Brazil.

Interesting enough only South American teams have won when the World Cup is hosted there, hopefully that changes this time...

That's what I'm saying. Must be nice for South American teams to have home-field advantage no matter where they go it feels like.
Hey guys remember how much everyone talked about MLS or cared about futbol before it was the patriotic thing to do because I sure don't.
[Image: 156z2w1.gif]
Well it isn't like the World Cup is an annual event. Neither are the Olympics for that matter. Nothing wrong with supporting our athletes who spent their lives preparing for that opportunity.
Oh they come from where I do

My tribe!

It's just interesting to me socially. Unlike many Olympic events futbol and MLS are televised every year and not a shit is given.
I've never been a huge soccer fan but with the NHL and NBA seasons now over and the fact that baseball doesn't even hit my radar until October, i'll definitely be watching as many games as I can. btw the MLS is viewed as a big joke compared to national tournament soccer.

But they're Merican u gotta support the athletes

I'm just trolling now.
MLS is huge in Portland. Timbers could murder babies every second and still sell out games.
Yeah but then again Portland's only other team is the Blazers, unless you want to count the Winterhawks as well which also do have a solid fan base too as far as I know. LA has the Galaxy which has won 4 championships and only the illegals seem to really care about them. If Seattle doesn't get an NHL team then Portland should definitely get one. It would be foolish at this point not to relocate one of the struggling franchises like Arizona or Florida to one of those cities.

I say bring them to both. Winterhawks aren't even pro and they sell out the Rose Garden (fuck that other name) on a consistent basis. The Pacific Northwest seems like an untapped market for hockey.
Yeah except Vancouver, if Seattle and Portland get NHL teams they will likely be assured sell outs either way since Vancouver fans will go to the games as well. Plus they can start a new rivalry with them.

I used to work at the Rose Quarter and it's uncanny how the Winterhawks sell out every single game they play. Even during their down years there aren't that many empty seats in the arenas. I would have thought it was a no brainer to bring NHL here a long time ago.

This fucking city is destined to always have the small market mentality with their minor league teams though and it's really sad. The only reason we even still have the Blazers is because of a contract that was signed to not have the team relocated. Portland fans are as die hard and passionate about the teams they follow as ANY major market. Hell, even the Hillsboro Hops have had some pretty decent attendances and that's about as minor league as one can get.

I'm drunk and pissed now.

Win the Day!

I'm a pretty big Columbus Crew supporter even though I don't get to make as many games as I'd like to. I was actually in their official bar in 2008 when they won the MLS Cup. Was up that way working on one of my last projects for school and decided to stop in and watch. Boy..talk about a fucking insane bar crowd!
Every single time I've been to a Timbers match I've had nothing but a great time. It's no lie when they say that it has one of the most European like crowds in the US. I'm actually going to be at the match on the 27th vs. LA. I'm stoked for that one!

Win the Day!

One thing I like more about this World Cup than in 2010 is none of those annoying horns being blown throughout the games, I hope South Africa is never allowed to host another World Cup after that nonsense.

FIFA actually perma banned them from here on out. That's not a bad thing.

Win the Day!

[+] 2 users Like Rob's post
I'm curious if USA gets it in 2022, no way Qatar gets to keep it with the rampant human rights abuse (1 construction worker killed a day on average), the extreme heat, and corruption charges. Sony, Visa, and Adidas may pull support if these allegations are proven true. Adidas alone should seal the relocation. Not to mention how many football stadiums in college and profession

I'm hoping that USA will get the World Cup in 2022. Qatar won the bid but it's been long suspected that bribery came into play. The rampant human rights abuse of the construction workers (over 1,000 killed since 2010 and thousands more to come) does not help their case. Sony, Visa, and most importantly of all, Adidas, may pull support if the allegations of bribery are true. That alone will seal the deal for the World Cup being moved. It makes the most sense. There are so many stadiums in place that can meet the capacity and thensome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ame...y_capacity