Playstation 4
[Image: original.jpg]
Quote:THE NEXT PLAYSTATION, AT A GLANCE

Is called, or at least carries the working codename, "Orbis".

Is scheduled for a Holiday 2013 release.

Won't be backwards compatible with PS3 games.

Will lock new games to a PSN account as an anti-used games measure.

New games can be bought either on Blu-Ray or downloaded.

Current specs are an AMD x64 CPU and AMD Southern Islands GPU

Today, Kotaku posted a story containing alleged details on Sony's next home console, the PlayStation 4. Kotaku claims that the details of the story "come from a reliable source who is not authorized to talk publically about next-gen hardware but has shared correct information with [the publication] before." According to this source, the next PlayStation is codenamed Orbis and will launch in the 2013 holiday season.

Kotaku notes that the predicted specs of the Orbis currently include an AMD x64 CPU and AMD Southern Islands GPU. The source told Kotaku that "select developers" have already received dev kits at the beginning of the year and revised kits arrived around the time of the Game Developers Conference earlier this month.

Furthermore, according to Kotaku's source, Orbis will not feature backwards compatibility with PlayStation 3 games and will incorporate some sort of used-games restriction. Apparently, once a consumer inserts a Blu-ray disc into Orbis it must be tied to a PSN account and can no longer be shared. The data can be installed onto the system and flagged as "downloaded" from the PSN so it can be re-downloaded for future use. Sources are "unclear" as to how the disc functions following this, though one possibility is that the disc can allow consumers to access trial content before purchasing the full game on their console.

IGN contacted Sony for a comment on these rumors. The official response: "we don't comment on rumors or speculation." If any other details emerge, we will update this article.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1221819p1.html

CURRENT SPECS

Our main source supplied some basic specs for the console, but as the future is always in motion, bear in mind these could easily change between now and the Orbis' retail release. Still, if you'd like to know what developers are being told to plan for now, here you go.

AMD x64 CPU
AMD Southern Islands GPU

The former, that's largely something we've heard before, but the latter is interesting. That's the name given to many of AMD's 2012 roster of high-end PC cards. The PS4's GPU in particular, we're told, will be capable of displaying Orbis games at a resolution of up to 4096x2160, which is far in excess of the needs of most current HDTV sets. It'll also be capable of playing 3D games in 1080p (the PS3 could only safely manage 3D at 720p).

Source : http://kotaku.com/5896996/the-next-plays...he-details

No backwards compatibly?

R.I.P. Sony
[Image: F47Mb2J.jpg]
No Used Games? RIP Sony
[Image: POSSig_zps0664a3f1.jpg]

(03-28-2012, 07:47 PM)Phenom Wrote: No Used Games? RIP Gamestop

Is this even really news?
Those don't matter, they happen all the time.
http://www.00Devin.com
I'll lay waste to your waist when i puff you up like a float / Nah, I hate kids so I'll fuck your face till you have strep throat
[Image: iz8ewn.png]
I dunno, is it?
I don't like this news at all. If its true about no PS3 compatibility and used gaming restriction then Sony is truly missing the mark here. These two things are going to alienate a lot of die hard Playstation gamers for sure. Do we even really need a PS4 now anyway? What is it about the PS3 that is so outdated to warrant a new console?
(03-28-2012, 07:51 PM)Mudkips Wrote:
(03-28-2012, 07:47 PM)Phenom Wrote: No Used Games? RIP Gamestop

Doubt Sony will stick to that. GameStop will just say "We won't stock Sony product then" Consumers won't care about the new console cuz Sony will force them to buy new ALWAYS and will be less likely to lower prices on those games.

People can claim to hate GameStop all they want, but they are one of the biggest sellers of games and GameStop saying "No" to Sony would hurt them. Look at PC gaming, when PC games come out and have really SHITTY DRM people don't react well to it and their sales suffer. This is just another form of DRM.

I don't see this going well for Sony at all.
this would be a great time for MENTHOL to come in and lay the FACTS down for you xbots.
[+] 5 users Like genérico's post
Ive said it all along, fuck Playstation.
[+] 1 user Likes deadshalldeadremain's post
Well, with those restrictions, I know what gaming system I won't be buying. Even if they still were able to play used games, I wouldn't buy one simply because it wouldn't be backwards compatible. There are a lot of games that I would like to play on PS3, but I don't see buying a whole system just to play them. However, if PS4 game out with new/groundbreaking type of stuff, and was also backwards compatible, I'd definitely snatch one up.
[Image: funny-gifs-dope-zebra.gif]
My dick got hard. This means the next Xbox is going to destroy Wii-U and PS4.
(03-17-2016, 02:01 PM)Wiggz Wrote: Jimmy King had a broken back and was paralyzed but he hopped out of his wheelchair and whooped Kanyon in Memphis. Then Sting broke six bones in his neck with a bat and in two weeks he came back and ruled ass.

Jimmy King > Sting

I'm sure public outrage will squash the backwards compatible and used game stuff in a heartbeat, unless Sony is itching for another database hackjob and complete alienation.
[Image: hellboy_wallpaper_3_by_spitfire666xxxxx-d31h4bk.jpg]
(03-29-2012, 12:37 PM)Void Wrote: I'm sure public outrage will squash the backwards compatible and used game stuff in a heartbeat, unless Sony is itching for another database hackjob and complete alienation.

Looks like thats what there going for here...

Im so glad in 2003 I made the decision to never own another Playstation, I owe it all to the OG Xbox, Morrowind, and a guy I used to be friends with that left for the military and left his Xbox with me.
Great...I finally pick up a ps3 a few months ago and its already gonna be outdated. And I agree, is it really necessary to push out the next generation of consoles out so quickly? Unless they're gonna bust out some kind of holographic full room virtual reality shit, is there really anything else they can improve on the current gen. that requires a new system?
[Image: il_570xN.711877764_jggh.jpg]
Don't be a cuck, be a sick fuck instead at http://thesfu.net/forums/
By the time PS4 is released, PS3 will be seven years old. I don't think that is too close together.
[Image: funny-gifs-dope-zebra.gif]
Sony deciding to opt out the backwards compatibility on the PS4 is believable to me. Just look at the company's history.

PS3? Sorry you can't play PS2 games.

Got a PSP? yeah we aren't making the UMD games/movies anymore, but are more than happy to continue producing the console for you.

PSP GO? Yeah all content is now downloadable and has no UMD drive. Oh you have older games for you're PSP? sucks for you, you have to repurchase those games again through the PSN to play them on the GO.

You just bought the PSP Vita? Has a disc drive but can't play your regular PSP games.

With a track record like this, its not likely Sony is going to smarten up.
Lol@ people saying that it's too soon to replace a system that came out in 2006 in a time where technology outdates itself every month.
This generation lasted longer than every previous. It's time for new hardware.
[Image: 9wpS1.jpg]
Time for you to fucking die
[+] 1 user Likes red alien's post
Do people really care that much about backwards compatibility? I already own a PS3 and 360 and I really wouldn't care if I could play old games on those systems as I could just use my old system to play those. I've never used the backwards compatibility on 360 or PS3. I did play some gamecube games on the Wii however, but that's because I never really bought many games on the Wii to play either way.

As far as used games, the new XBox system has the exact same rumor going for that, so don't see the problem there. I doubt either will go for it, though I think they might as well seeing as the next generation after this will likely be going completely digital (sadly) and it won't really be an issue anymore.
(03-29-2012, 05:32 PM)red alien Wrote: This generation lasted longer than every previous. It's time for new hardware.

As long as we aren't getting cheap gimmicks like motion gaming, than I can see the justification in that.
I always have solid PC gaming to avoid most of the gimmicky shit. I don't own a 360 or PS3 because all of the games I want I can get usually superior PC versions of anyway or they only exist for PC anyway. I have a Wii but most of the games I have don't do tons with motion control, so that doesn't matter to me anyway.

I could give two shits about Move or Kinnect. If I wanted to move like that, I'd just get my ass off the couch and go do some real stuff outside instead of just pretending to do it.
[Image: 9wpS1.jpg]
Time for you to fucking die
I'm not talking about bw compatibility... Talking about used games. MS has said they will continue to support used going forward.
(03-17-2016, 02:01 PM)Wiggz Wrote: Jimmy King had a broken back and was paralyzed but he hopped out of his wheelchair and whooped Kanyon in Memphis. Then Sting broke six bones in his neck with a bat and in two weeks he came back and ruled ass.

Jimmy King > Sting

i agree with BWC being a total waste and probably would make the machine cost more. i never once have played a ps2 in my ps3.
Xbox is for the people, Playstation is for the dogs, and thats exactly what they treat you like at Sony, crappy security, and then they fuck you themselves.
[Image: camsolo.jpg]

Sony still offers a great service. Between the Xbox and the PS3, you can pretty much get the same games. There is no pay for play on the PS3, and Sony doesn't rape you with accessories like Nintendo or Microsoft. Plus, the PS3 is the only TV console that can play Blu Rays.
you can defend sony all you want, as soon as they fuck over used game buyers they are gonna take a hit.

Their best move is to just can that idea all together and realize that with gamestop around use games will continue to thrive.

Xbox is making it so you can't play used games either.. just saying.
It would be the only way to sustain sales is if they both did it together, they both need to scrap that shit.

The way it's looking is that Xbox will be more powerful than PS4. Hopefully these are all just rumors because that controller for Xbox is gay as fuck.
I dont mind it, I like the PS controllers too, Xbox is much more bulky but ive just gotten used to it I guess.